Have you noticed things deemed “old fashioned” are now again “fashionable”?
The once familiar and humble little backyard granny flat is making a resurgence thanks to the NSW government’s “Affordable Rental Housing State Environmental Planning Policy” 2009 (SEPP).
And it's news to rejoice over, especially with our ageing population, our Baby Boomer Generation looking to downsize, and our younger population who are struggling to enter Sydney's housing market. This is where the granny flat will certainly assist in easing our NSW housing crisis.
Not only can the granny flat be seen as affordable housing for your young or older family members, it can also be considered for providing additional income by renting it out.
Granny flats are now permitted in all residential zones across NSW, so long as the following criteria can be met:
- One home and one granny flat per title or housing lot
- Your housing lot has not already undergone subdivision
- The maximum floor area of the granny flat does not exceed 60 square metres
- Your proposed granny flat meets local environmental planning controls, such as height, setback and combined total floor ratios
- The standards of the Building Code of Australia are complied with
The benefits of a granny flat:
- Independent senior living
- Guest accommodation
- Affordable rental housing
- Home office or Studio
- Teenager's retreat
- Additional housing for a growing family
- Young couple or newly wed accommodation while saving for their own home
- Rent it out for additional income
- No additional parking is required for the granny flat
Take a look through our original, spacious and well thought out granny flat designs . If you have been considering adding additional accommodation to your property or would like to know if you are eligible, if you would like to shift your adult child/children out of the house or bringing your elderly family members closer, we would be happy to discuss this with you further.